Tuesday 17 March 2015

The Three Lions – Liverpool Playhouse – 16/03/2015

And you… Colour in your grandmother’s head!

Following its critical success at the Pleasance during the 2013 Edinburgh Fringe, William Gaminara’s irreverent comedy is in Liverpool this week as part of a short tour en-route to London.
I almost didn’t book for this one, as I saw the football connection and thought it wouldn’t be for me, but seeing Philip Wilson in the directorial chair made me take a second look, and my visit on the opening night here won’t be my last this week.
The three lions of the title are not printed on a football shirt – they’re David Cameron, David Beckham and Prince William, and the opening scene finds them checking in to a Zurich hotel as they prepare to go and present their pitch for the 2018 World Cup. What follows is two hours of satirical comedy teetering on the brink of farce.
Gaminara makes no pretentions to have based this on any sort of fact, aside from the obvious that they were all there for the central purpose of the actual bid. He has allowed his imagination to run with ideas about the sort of exchanges that might take place if you put these three very different big-shots in a room together. Cameron is pompous and self-important, incensed that the hotel manager doesn’t know who he is and showing a not even thinly veiled contempt for his colleagues’ intelligence. Beckham might glaze over while he tries to fathom what the other two are talking about but he comes out on top in the charisma stakes, while William (in the midst of wedding preparations) is played as something of a buffoon, although he can of course fly a helicopter…
The actors are keen to point out that these are not impersonations. The performances come across as more of a caricature, although Séan Browne serendipitously bears an almost frightening resemblance to David Beckham and has absolutely nailed the voice. Dugald Bruce-Lockhart somewhat put me in mind of a love-child of David Cameron and Nick Clegg (I really regret having that concept in my head, but now it’s there you can share it with me!) but he too has captured Cameron’s vocal traits very convincingly. What can you say about Tom Davey’s characterisation of William? I know I actually saw him 9 times on stage during the run of the Norman Conquests, but it wasn’t until I saw him after the show with his own hair that I actually recognised him (sorry Tom!). He has a great time with Gaminara’s writing, revelling in scenes where William becomes totally lost, and I loved his diversion into cricket and his clutching at straws to keep a hold on his dignity.
There are strong performances too from Antonia Kinlay as Penny – a frustrated PA desperately trying to keep them all on track – and Ravi Aujla, who plays the uncannily similar Vikram and Ashok, apparently hotel managers who struggle to find enough rooms for our three lions. But keep an eye on Ashok, as he might have his own agenda. Finally, Lewis Collier is another hotel guest whose accommodation causes the party some confusion.
As for the three hotel rooms they’re all strikingly similar in Colin Falconer’s stylish set, differing only in their size and the ostentation of the floral arrangements, but the transformation from one to another is a neatly added splash of wit.
This is the third play that I have almost failed to see due to the sporting connection but, as with Jumpers for Goalposts and Gaffer, I have proved my preconceptions spectacularly wrong. Here is a hugely entertaining and slickly staged piece of comedy that will appeal whether or not you’re a devotee of football. The beautiful game on display here is one of wicked wordplay, garnished with some nifty sight gags and a gentle seasoning of farce. This is proof again of the folly of pre-judging a play from its title and I’m that glad I continue to allow my curiosity to override my scepticism.
The Three Lions runs at Liverpool Playhouse until Saturday evening, including matinee performances on Thursday and Saturday. It will then transfer to St James Theatre London until May 2nd.

No comments:

Post a Comment